The following is a rundown of the course of events relative to the School Security Officer position for the City School District:
1) The City School District requested a 211 waiver for Rolf Koehler, School Security Officer. This request was granted by the New York State Civil Service Commission to run through June, 2010.
2) In granting such a waiver, the New York State Civil Service Commission required a test for School Security Officer be held to determine if other candidates were available to fill the position.
(The School District determined that the job description for the test did not reflect changes they had requested and asked that the job description be amended. This request was denied by the former Civil Service Administrator.)
3) City Civil Service Commission holds the test in February, 2010. The result of the test was the establishment of a list of 12 eligible candidates for the position. (The incumbent was not required to take the test.)Read more
Over the course of the last few weeks, there have been many mis-truths and faulty characterizations regarding the postings for a new School Security Specialist position. In an effort to set the record straight, we offer the following chronology and explanation:
1) In 2009, the City School District requested a 211 extension waiver for Rolf Koehler, School Security Officer which was granted by the New York State Civil Service Commission to run through June 2010. This waiver was predicated on the satisfactory work done by Mr. Koehler in his assignments since 2005.Read more
NEW ROCHELLE, NY - Iona College men's basketball junior Mike Glover (Bronx, NY) earned MAAC Co-Player of the Week honors for his performance at No. 5 Syracuse on Saturday. Glover was honored with a conference player of the week honor for the third straight week.
Glover netted a game-high 25 points and 16 rebounds in the Gaels' six-point loss to the Orange at the Carrier dome. He shot 9-for-11 (81.8%) from the field including four electrifying dunks. Glover recorded his sixth straight double-double, becoming the first Iona player to do so since Nakeia Miller's six in a row to start the 2000-01 campaign.Read more
Summer School in New Rochelle High School
I recently requested data from the New Rochelle School administration on the number of students who attend Summer School in New Rochelle. My suspicion was that it was a significant number and essentially mostly Hispanic and African-American students. The districts sent me the following data:
• A total number of 703 students from New Rochelle High School were enrolled in our 2010 Summer School Program.
• A total number of 77 students from out-of-district were enrolled in our 2010 Summer School Program (Are we reimbursed for these students?)
On January 6, 2011 at 7pm, Theater Works, the theater club at New Rochelle High School, is hosting a screening of “Race to Nowhere”.
Tickets are on sale now: $10 in advance or $15 at doorRead more
The period for submitting public comments after the public scoping session has now ended. All comments were due by close of business on Monday December 20, 2010, ten (10) days after the public event at City Hall on Thursday December 9, 2010.
Iona is proposing the construction of a new 10-story residence hall consisting of approximately 93,434 square feet and housing approximately 393 students. The residence hall would be constructed on the site of an existing parking lot on the Iona College West Campus, adjacent to the existing Loftus residence hall.
At the public scoping section, dozens of residents, most of whom live in the immediate area, spoke out against the project.
In the meantime, to build support, Iona College has been sending out form letters to alumni living in New Rochelle asking them to send a letter to the Mayor in support of the project.
As a member of the New Rochelle community and a graduate of Iona College, I write to ask for your support of a very important project for Iona.
SPRINGFIELD, MA - The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced the candidates for the 2011 Bob Cousy Award. Iona College men's basketball junior Scott Machado (Queens, NY) is in contention for the annual award, named for Hall of Famer and former Boston Celtic Bob Cousy, that recognizes college basketball’s top point guard. Total of 66 players have been nominated for the 2011 award. Nominations were solicited from all schools across the country.Read more
SYRACUSE, NY - No. 5 Syracuse held off a late run by the Iona College men's basketball team in an 83-77 decision in non-conference action at the Carrier Dome. Junior Mike Glover (Bronx, NY) continued his stellar play, pouring in a game-high 25 points while completing his sixth straight double-double with 16 rebounds. Junior Scott Machado (Queens, NY) also posted a double-double with 11 points and 13 assists in the loss. A six-point halftime lead was the difference as the Gaels and Orange both scored 46 points in the second frame.Read more