NEW ROCHELLE, NY -- The New Rochelle Downtown Grand Market is back! Now celebrating its fifth year, downtown’s favorite outdoor event will open this weekend with more family-friendly attractions, activities for adults and children and new vendors along with returning favorites.
Presented by the New Rochelle Downtown Business Improvement District (BID), the market kicks off June 2 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Ruby Dee Park at Library Green, along Huguenot Street between Lawton Street and Memorial Highway. It runs the same place and time every Saturday through Oct. 27.
With live music, lawn games, tempting foods, handmade crafts and special events throughout the summer, the weekly celebration is much more than a farmers’ market – it’s a festival that families and foodies have come to love. New attractions this year include games for adults such as Scrabble, checkers and playing cards. They complement the activities for children, which include kid-centric performances, hands-on crafts, three toy farmers market stands and more.
Among the new vendors are:
· Asian Farmer offering savory dumplings
· Big Bang Coffee Roasters vending organic, fair-trade brews
· The Cheese Guy carrying brie, goat cheese, Manchego and others
· Bambino Ravioli Pastifico: fresh pasta products, along with a selection of sauces and fresh mozzarella
· Naturally Naz: all-natural, often-organic hair and skin products
· Sonny Orza Bread Factory: artisanal, made-by-hand breads in all styles
“At five years old, the Grand Market keeps getting better,” said BID Executive Director Ralph DiBart. “Our exciting new foods and activities will add even more attractions to a weekly festival that has delighted loyal fans and new visitors week after week, year after year.”
The market mainstays returning for the season include Migliorelli Farm and R&R Produce with their plump, healthy produce; the Walter’s Hot Dog truck, serving Westchester’s favorite franks, split and grilled; Farm Eats, with a variety of grass-fed meats; and the Luscious Little Dessert
Company returns with its sweet potato pie bursting with fresh fillings.
Following this week’s grand opening, return for a host of special events every week through August. They will include:
· The Grand Market’s Birthday Party (June 9) The Grand Market celebrates five years with party hats, Juggles the Magical Clown and a birthday cake.
· Pre-July 4 Celebration (June 30) A flag giveaway adds a patriotic air to the festival, and attendees will cheer for contestants in the annual Pie-Eating Contest sponsored by the Luscious Little Dessert Company.
· Bastille Day Celebration (July 14) New Rochelle’s French history is celebrated with free berets and red balloons, a can-can dance and more.
· Touch-a-Truck Day (August 11) Children enjoy exploring the community’s large work vehicles.
· Senior Citizens Appreciation Day (August 25) Seniors will be honored with a give-away of tote bags (while supplies last.)
For a full list of special events, plus a list of vendors and more information, visit the Grand Market’s website here.
Sponsors include Montefiore New Rochelle Hospital, A. Bulfamante Landscaping, Halstead New Rochelle Metro North and MacQuesten Development.
“If you’re a regular at our Grand Market, you’ll find all your favorite foods and attractions, plus so much more this year,” said Market Director Jennifer Furioli. “If you haven’t yet discovered all we have to offer, this is the time to join us. We’re sure you’ll agree that it’s all going on at the Grand.”