NEW ROCHELLE, NY -- New Rochelle firefighters responded today to an early morning fire in the basement of a house at 22 Spruce Street.
The call came in at 5:33 am when an elderly man knocked on the door of the Drake Avenue Firehouse to report he heard a popping noise in the basement and smelled "something". The house is located just around the corner from the house. Firefighters arrived on scene at 5:37 am.
"There was a problem with the electrical system," said New Rochelle Fire Chief Lou DiMeglio.
Firefighters opened up walls and found fire traveling in the walls up to the first and second floor. They ran two lines into the basement.
"It could have been a lot worse," said DiMeglio.
Con Ed was called to the scene and arrived about 15 to 20 minutes later to switch off the power, said DiMeglio. Con Edison is reporting that 22 customers lost power as a result of the fire. Power was expected to be restored shortly.
The fire was cleared at 6:59 am. No injuries were reported.
Red Cross was called to assist the man living in the house who had self-evacuated to contact the fire department. The man is staying with a neighbor until the Red Cross can relocate him.
Photos courtesy Boomer T. Ryder.